Weird News, Ghosts and the Paranormal.

Ghostly Pics: Amityville Ghost Boy

The Amityville Horror haunting is still a very popular subject both inside and outside the circle of paranormal researchers and enthusiasts.

It is the story of the Lutz family, who went through a nightmarish twenty-eight days inside the house at 108 Ocean Ave in 1975 has become known world wide. The house had previously been the residence of the DeFeo family about a year or so before the Lutz’s moved in, that is until twenty-three year old Ronald DeFeo murdered both his parents in their beds as well as his four siblings: Dawn (eighteen years old), Marc (twelve) and John Matthew (Nine).

Since the Lutz’s fled the ‘Horror House’, the story of what occurred to the family in less then a month’s time in Long Island has been turned into a book, made into a movie and spawned the name of a famous fictional horror movie franchise.

As we have noted on this blog before, the case also has many side trips and legends, some of which you have to read to believe.One of the most popular has to be the Amity ‘Ghost Boy’ photo, which has sparked debate in the Amityville and paranormal worlds for some time now.

It is also one creepy photo.

The Original Picture

The picture. which appears to be of a small boy with glasses or a man kneeling on the floor with glowing eyes, has been called everything from one of the dead DeFeo children to a demon, first turned up in the collection of photos George Lutz had from an investigation into the haunting in  1976, led by infamous Demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren.

During that investigation, a camera was set up on the second floor which took tons of infrared pictures during the night. According to George Lutz himself, although no one noticed it at first, one particular pic taken did indeed contain something odd:

“The first time that picture was shown was on the Merv Griffin show back in 1979. It was discovered 3 years after it was taken. Gene Campbell, who was a professional photographer, was brought into the house in 1976 when the Warrens went in with their team. He set up an automatic camera on the 2nd floor landing that shot off infrared film, black and white, throughout the night.

There are literally rolls of film with nothing on them. There’s only one picture of the little boy.

In 1979, I was putting together a book that has yet to be published that included the photographs. The secretary I had at the time was about eight months pregnant. We had dozens of these pictures to choose from that didn’t have the boy, and she asked me: “Which one should we put in the book?” I told her to just pick one. She came running back into my office about 5 minutes later saying that every time she picked up the photograph with the boy, the baby kicked her.

We then asked my kids if they knew who this was. Missy said it was the little boy she used to play with in the house. I then called the Warrens and the photographer and let them know about the picture.”

Despite the tale of the unsettling discovery of the photo and the photo itself, some people on the Amityville Truth Board believe it could simply be the picture of one of the investigators working with the Warrens that night: Paul Bartz.

Paul Bartz

The theory states that Paul Bartz bears a resemblance to the ghost boy and is wearing a similar shirt. Meanwhile, the ghostly glow that radiates from the eyes would be due to the infrared film.

As a theory goes it is not bad, the ghost boy and Bartz do seem to have a similar pattern on the shirts they are wearing. However the patterns are not a complete match, so there is still much room for speculation.

For example:

Ghostudy.com posted the pic a few years ago with the idea that the figure in the picture resembled the youngest DeFeo child murdered in the house in 1974, namely nine year old John Matthew. looking at one of the images Ghostudy posted with the observation, it does indeed look similar:

Personally I think this explanation would be too neat and cliche, it seems like something straight out of every classical ghost story ever told, where the murdered stalk the places they once died.

Although they do say truth is often stranger then fiction.

Meanwhile back at the Amity Truth Board, a member by the name of Msmart112 claims to have emailed Paul Bartz about being the possible person in the ghost boy pic, to which he claims to have received this text in part of a reply from Bartz:

“I am the same Paul Bartz that took part in the séance in the Amityville home some 32 years ago.

The image in the photo you mention does resemble me and I know that Ed (now deceased) and Lorraine went on record (including national tv) stating it was a ghost. Because I have great respect and admiration for them, I will say no more on the issue, allowing the legend of the most haunted house in America, to continue.”

If this response is genuine and from the real Paul Bartz then it would appear that Bartz would rather keep mum on the matter, although his choice of words hints at the fact that it is indeed him in the photo.

Others believe the figure is a demon, able to change it’s shape at will and in the form of a little boy or the shape of John Matthew DeFeo. This too is a bit far fetched as are some of the people who have thrown this theory into the ring.

What remains is a photograph that, like the entire story of both the DeFeo murders and the Amityville haunting, is shrouded in both mystery and doubt. It also has become one of the best modern ‘ghost’ pics of the last fifty years.

-Thomas Spychalski

ANI3DarrowPurple2CDiscuss This Article At Death By Posting

About these ads

47 responses

1. knudsens

Ghost picture are fun, but i don`t belive them. I know how easy it is to make them, i have done it a few times myself.

April 7, 2012 at 5:10 AM

• I tend to take the skeptics view myself when it comes to such pics, although I do hold out hope that there will one day be a pic that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that ghiosts are real.

However, like you I think they are great fun no matter the origin.

That said, I see you have a photography blog…if you would be so kind as to give this blog some examples of fake ghost pics and how you accomplished them I would love to publish them.

April 7, 2012 at 2:31 PM

• I don’t know if I believe in ghosts or not .
        But I do agree with the comment above

November 2, 2012 at 4:07 AM

2. I don’t understand how anyone could think that little face belongs to Paul Bartz.

April 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

• The original image shows the figure to be quite far away, so the perspective is an issue.

Also, if it is Bartz he is kneeling down, further distorting what our minds might make of the pic.

That said, I think this is one of those photos where the debate will go on forever. It cannot be proven a fake and it also cannot be proven to be Bartz or any other ‘human’.

But it is one of the creepiest photos ever taken, and that will never change.

April 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM

• I totally concur. I had forgotten all about this photo! Thanks for pulling it back out!

April 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM

• No problem.

Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment! ;-)

April 7, 2012 at 3:40 PM

• I COMPLETELY agree with you. This is a young child. He looks uncannily like one of the very young DeFeo brothers. I cannot tell which one, but this picture is a lot more than just hocus-pocus. The Lutz’s and Ed and Lorraine Warren were on to something diabolical.

January 19, 2014 at 9:29 PM

• I don’t think any ‘hocus pocus’ is necessary.

It is a normal photo of a man.

Also with all due respect some quarters and skeptics say the Warrens true motives were the root of all evil…money.

Cheers, thanks for reading and taking the time to comment! :-)

January 20, 2014 at 2:33 AM

• Lio

The Lutz fooled all of us! The Warrens could sell ice to an eskimo.

February 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM

• I still think something went on there but it got overblown.

April 12, 2014 at 4:30 AM

3. look at this picture by scrolling down and only looking through the white stair spindels…there actually looks like a ‘face’ on the shirt as well…probably just eye tricks though….

April 12, 2012 at 3:22 PM

• I’m sorry Eileen I don’t see it but yeah ‘matrixing’ can make you see a lot of odd things in random patterns. ;-)

April 12, 2012 at 6:03 PM

4. I know Paul Bartz. He is tall and slender and at the time was probablly 6’1″. If you look at the picture, which looks to have come from The Demonologist website, you will notice that the child’s image stands about three to four feet tall. Nearby is a door. A typical door is 80″ in height. Were this to be Paul Bartz the clearance between the boy’s head and the top of the doorway would only be six inches – which it clearly is not. Your allegation that this photograph is false therefore does not hold water. GB

April 12, 2012 at 6:41 PM

• Hello Gearld, thanks for popping in to comment.

First let me say that although the ghost boy pic I used is indeed from the net, it is not the one I see on your site (A Little Extra on Amityville). I actually acquired the pic above described as the original and did the rest of the close up etc in the program Ifranview.

As for it not being Paul, I never said that this is the end all-be all of the ghost boy debate, but rather an interesting theory that deserves a look.

Thing is the internet took it and ran with this one, so if you got here by way of About.com or Skeptic or another site that has picked this one up, the headlines they write for it were not my words but rather the ‘grab’ they used to get people here.

Although I am sure my personal feelings bleed through a bit (This is a blog and a ‘personal’ touch works better, unlike when I work for a local paper out my way where it has to be ‘facts’ all day with no side taken) and I do think that the pic may indeed be Bartz.

As for the height issue, if this was Bartz he would be kneeling on the floor, perhaps they were checking for the black substance George Lutz claimed was dripping for the keyholes in the house? ;-)

Also, there is an aspect I forgot to add and will add in later revisions about the length of the arm of the figure seen in the pic…too long for a kid but just right for an adult in a plaid shirt kneeling down or something a bit more sinister…

There is also the email from Bartz which comes from a forum member on the Truth Board who has never seemed to be a troll nor a spreader of misinformation.

With that being said, if you would like to write a rebuttal of this post I will be more then happy to allow you to do so and publish it without any commentary from myself beyond explaining it is a rebuttal to this post and not the opinion of this website…

Again, thanks for taking the time to comment…I am an Amity ‘fan’ of sorts and Amityville is a pretty popular subject in the paranormal world so we will tackle a lot of different angles and theorys often.

In future I hope to publish both pro haunting and hoax angled articles on the case…I do not know what happened in 1974-1976 as I was not there, but I intend to gather all the info I can and write about it as I see fit, which for me is leaving no angle or stone unturned.

April 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM

• Mr. Spychalski,

This piece was forwarded to me and apparently came from About.com.
        I am not an apologist for the Amityville case. I was not there and, at this point in time, find the subject to be remarkably boring. What I can tell you in retrospect is that I did in-depth interviews with all the psychics involved in the case, including Ed and Lorraine Warren, the Lutzes, and pertinent clergy assigned to the matter. Though interviewed separately, their experiences were nearly identical and in a court of law would have functioned as total corroboration. As I have said elsewhere, a veritable cottage industry has grown up trying to shoot down this case, almost exclusively by people who where never there in the first place. Typically this happens whenever a prominent haunting hits the papers, whereupon the usual manifestation of grumps and athiests come forth in all their nonsensical splendor. Yet those who were actually present came away aghast, harmed, and emotionally brutalized from the experience. All received visitations – though none but the clergy lived on Long island – and all were personally traumatized for years after the event. In short, the Amityville case went on much longer and with far more enduring consequences than anyone knows. Thus trying to pick apart a picture comes off as utterly trivial compared to the brute reality that the true participants suffered during the rest of their lives. Ultimately, in the end, it is not the endless conjecture that accompanies this matter, it is the detailed diocesan record that affirms the reality of this case.
        GB

April 12, 2012 at 10:57 PM

• Gerald:

First of all I am far from a “Mr.”. Please feel free to call me Tom instead.:-)

I respect all that you have said and truth be told, I do believe something happened on Ocean ave to the Lutz’s. I do not think they are all lying or anything like that, specially considering the profit [sic] George and Kathy made off the Jay Anson book and the original film.

Personally I am the kind of guy who ‘wants to believe’ on most ghost cases. I did have one experience of this nature which I have already mentioned on this site so I am aware it is possible that these things can happen to people. My goal here is to bring readers the facts, theorys and debates of these cases so they can get solved, and without selling TV shows, DVDs or knick knacks.

The ghost boy pic seems to be something that could go either way, either it is the best picture of a ghost/demon/creature ever taken or it is simply a child or a man in a hallway of a Dutch Colonial house.

Again, without firm proof of one or the other I cannot honestly comment as I was not there and although I know much more then the laymen I am not an Amity expert, or at least I do not consider myself to be one (Neither will I go around calling myself one either).

But I am a firm believer in the Lutz side of things personally for a few reasons, including the fact that I think Anson made things more interesting for the book and Anson only had the tapes the Lutz’s made after the fact about the incidents in the house and the fact that they both passed those lie detector tests.

Also, I wholeheartedly agree that there is an ‘industry’ built up around Amityville and not just by the fictinal movie franchise either. People will do anything for a buck.

I have an article coming up on fake E-Bay haunted item sales that mentions a person I know who got burned on an Amityville related item. I hate the fact that people are just selling the Amityville name without bringing anything of interest to the table as they are doing it to make money.

I would just like to get to the truth of both the DeFeo murders and the twenty-eight days the Lutz’s spent on Ocean Ave.

Thanks again for taking the time and for discussing it in a polite manner.
        Tom

April 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM

5. Tom -

Your reply is very balanced.
    If you can come forth with some useful facts, or develop a “new truth”, more power to you.
    Put variously, you can gather all the believeable info you want, but it will always be second-hand, and you will never really know if it is actually true. Going to after-market experts on such a contentious matter, moreover, is hardly the place to start, insofar they’ve always got their thumb on the scale, requiring you to somehow divine what is real and what is opinion. Still, if you want to spend the time of your life trying to separate out the peppercorns from the fly [EXPLETIVE], then you’ve certainly found your niche. Making matters worse, whenever you’re dealing with the devil, you immediately become involved in a massive game of keep-away, where pivotal facts always become corrupted by lies, duplicity, or contradiction. Try as you might, It will never let you get to the core of the matter, lest It then become revealed. And that ain’t gonna happen.
    All I can say is that there was nothing terribly remarkable about the Amityville event: the phenomena was not new, while in terms of demonology the progress of the case conformed exactly to a known theological pattern. Those who investigated the matter, furthermore, were capable and sincere, and the only reward they got was a massive dose of contempt and derision. Had any of them known what the future would bring, none would have ever gotten involved in the first place.
    In end, here’s some advice. If you really want a sense of accomplishment, crack open a beer and go mow the lawn.
    That way something important will actually get done, and you won’t go crazy in the process.
    Over and out.
    GB

April 13, 2012 at 9:30 PM

• Gerald:

Yes, my responses are very well balanced as I have no desire to get into any silly internet flame wars with anyone who comes here to comment. I feel they belittle me as a person and insulting people via the internet is to me the equivalent of two three year old children squabbling over a ball.

I will admit to having no ‘insides sources’ that were ever at the house on Ocean Ave and were never directly involved in it, but in my mind, the Wright Brothers were not present when the Concorde first flew in 1969, but I think they might have played a big hand in it’s flight.

Difference is I am not claiming that this post nor my stance is the definitive take on the photo, although personally as said I would rather bet on it being Paul Bartz or some other explanation then it being a demon or some such.

To each their own…

That stance does not belittle your position on the pic nor does it mean I think the entire Amity case, common or not, is as simply explained away…it also does not mean I was trying to make any accusations as to your or the Warrens sincerity in investigating the haunting.

I also personally don’t feel I am dealing with the Devil. Obviously you feel otherwise, hence the stance you have taken on this matter and others, and feel strongly enough about those feelings to write on them.

Therefore we are on the same river going in totally opposite directions. That’s OK, the universe is big enough for more then one theory, on Amityville and a lot of other things as well.

I’d also like to say that the end of your comment that refers to your ‘advice’ to me feels a bit insulting, or at the very least very misplaced. It seemed to have no bearing on the subject matter as well as which is unfortunate as until then I thought you were being pretty cordial and respectful.

If you feel I am barking up the wrong tree so to speak I thank you for the bother but as said above everyone is different. I feel very accomplished when what I speculate or report on is taken seriously and leads to healthy debate, which any theory should do, but which also sometimes leads down a path where the opposite sides of the argument refuse to co-exist. Which is a shame because they may learn something from one another.

Also I’d appreciate you not swearing in the comments…I asked one of the other writers here not to do so to commenting ‘guests’ and I would ask the same respect of my visitors please as despite the subject matter I consider this a site anyone can enjoy without bumping into bad language.

Thus I edited out the swear word in your last comment…

In response to the separating the peppercorn from the fly ****, I also take no shame doing so wen it comes to things like this. I write about the paranormal and the other subjects I do because I have an interest in them.

When we all started as writers we were told somewhere along the line to ‘write what you know’.

I do not claim to be an expert but the passion to explore, investigate and write about what I like is something that drives me to continue on with the work on my blogs and other projects.

Sorry to say that I also felt this to be a bit over the top honestly, but as I said I have no desire to argue with you on it, I will shrug it off and continue my ‘separation’ experiments.

Hopefully I can not only have the chance to report paranormal news and opinion but also expose a few frauds and ‘experts’ along the way.

Thank you Gerald for stopping by again, it is always a pleasure to meet someone new related to any of the paranormal cases we write about.

Cheers,
      Tom

April 14, 2012 at 6:03 AM

6. Wow…

April 13, 2012 at 10:17 PM

• Wow what Patrick? ;-)

Aren’t you glad you became a regular reader here at NFSW? :-)

BTW, as long as I have your ear, shoot me an email at the sites email in the pic in the sidebar or on the Contact Us page…thanks!

April 14, 2012 at 6:15 AM

7. Dan

Paul Bartz may or may not know he is “the ghostie boy.” Maybe he heard the camera taking his photo if/when he was sitting near that door, or maybe he didn’t. Honestly in this case, it’s not a matter of getting access to first-hand accounts, as no one was even aware this photo allegedly showed a ghost until 3 years later.

So really it’s all about speculation insofar as this photo is concerned.

But that brings up an important question: why didn’t the Warrens spot this photo right away? I mean the photographer was hired (or brought along) by the Warrens. He set up this one camera to take random automatic pictures in the dark using infrared, obviously hoping to take a shot of something unexplainable. With that in mind, you would think the Warrens would have poured over these photos, examining them with a magnifying glass, looking over every inch in hunt of something weird.

But they found nothing. It wasn’t until 3 years later that George Lutzes’ secretary accidentally came across this photo. Then George notified the Warrens.

So why didn’t the Warrens spot it? Could it be that they saw it for what it was (a photo of their assistant)? There are other photos from that camera showing various researchers wandering around that hallway. I think the Warrens recognized it as a photo of Paul and paid it no attention.

Add to that Paul’s coy email plus a newspaper account where he talks about being on the second floor alone for a while that night. Other photos of Paul seem to indicate a glasses case in his shirt pocket, giving the figure its weird “glowing eyes” effect (when seen in a small low-resolution copy of this photo).

I dunno. I tend to believe the haunting was real, but that doesn’t mean I must believe every ghost story associated with it. I tend to believe George Lutz. He said this was a photo of a ghost. But even though I believe him in general, it’s important to note that this is his opinion. George wasn’t there that night. He’s guessing about this photo just like we all are…

April 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM

• Hey Dan…thanks for dropping in to comment.

April 14, 2012 at 2:46 PM

• I completely agree with what was said in this post. If this was a legit investigation, which it was, then they would have realized when going over the analysis that this is somewhat questionable. Being that it wasn’t found until 3yrs after the fact then it tends to lead to the assumption that it was ruled out as a member of the team who was present.

NOW, if it is argued that they simply overlooked an obvious right in your face photo of what is claimed to be demonic then they aren’t doing a very good job at investigating the case in the first place. I realize investigations today aren’t like they were back then and analysis was extremely time consuming but 3yrs and caught by the client no less? I have respect for the Warrens and everything they have done but I think they knew the photo was natural in origin which is why it wasn’t caught in the first place.

April 14, 2012 at 3:41 PM

• I think that you and Dan bring up a very important point about this.

I also forgot about Bartz being in the upstairs bedroom..if AI recall the account corectly he laid for awhile in one of the bedrooms on the second floor for awhile. This account helps as it places Bartz on that floor and is in Bartz’s own words.

April 14, 2012 at 4:00 PM

8. First time reader here and I just have to say I enjoyed this article. I live about 10 minutes from Amityville and have my own paranormal group here on the Island and this is a constant debate. I am an open-minded skeptic and various parts to this case can lead someone one way or another regarding what to believe. I have spoken with a few individuals who have an affiliation with this case to some degree and many will argue for and many will argue against the events of this haunting.

Do I believe there was something going on there? I think there may have been some paranormal activity going on but not nearly what was advertised.

April 14, 2012 at 2:36 PM

• Noah:

Thanks for reading!

I too feel that something went on there but not as to what exactly.

PS: Eventually I will be writing up paranormal groups in a separate section so if you email me I would love to put your group in the mix.

Tom

April 14, 2012 at 2:48 PM

9. Pingback: The Last Map You’ll Ever Need! News for April 11th « Haunted South TV Paranormal Investigators

10. Bryan C.

All I can say about the picture itself is that it is indeed one creepy photo. I first saw it just a little while ago tonight on youtube in a video clip titled “Ghosts and Demons 3″ that showcases various spooky photos of this nature. It *is* pretty remarkable how much the “ghost” looks like the deceased boy, even if it really is Paul Bartz. To my eye the hair *seems* too short looking to be Bartz, but that is just me. Perhaps the real length of the hair is obscured by shadows. Ultimately, I have no real opinion as to whether or not this is actually a ghost or demon or just Paul Bartz, but yes, its very very creepy.

May 16, 2012 at 2:23 AM

• Bryan:

Yes indeed it is very creepy, no matter if the ‘ghost boy’ is a Human, demon or an honest to goodness ghost.

As said I do not know 100% if this is the absolute truth of this pic, but it is a good sound theory as to what the pic could be.

Thanks for commenting!

Tom

May 16, 2012 at 2:28 AM

11. Pingback: THE AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979) « Written in Blood

12. Lori

I think that either way ,if it is an entity or not, whatever spirit of chaos that resides there loves all the contraversy.

August 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM

• Hello Lori, sorry for the late reply, the site was ‘resting’ for a couple months…

Personally I doubt anything resides there besides whoever lives there. Even of you believe the Lutz’s 100% as they stated that the evil forces followed them from Amityville to California.

They even mention all of this in the the ‘more fiction then fact’ sequels to the original Amityville Horror novels written by John G Jones.

September 22, 2012 at 2:10 AM

13. john lee

I believe it is the Defeo boy, I am a paranormal freak, I’ve read the whole story, examined the evidence, I believe the demon theory.

September 21, 2012 at 1:19 AM

14. Liz

I wonder has anyone noticed the face up above the boys head? If you look near the top of the picture there is what appears to be a mans face. Could be a portrait or something on a wall but whatever it is, it is larger than the boys head.

September 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM

• A few people I now of have seen something in the back..personally I don’t, but you never know.

Maybe the one figure is Bartz and the one behind him is Jodie lol?

September 30, 2012 at 11:54 PM

15. If you turn your head at at right angle and look above the boys face you will see the pig of Jody!! Cartoon like glowing eyes not red but white. And its mouth with a mean look and teeth. I just noticed it tonight. The face is very faint almost blending into the background of the blackness. If that is fake then someone took some time on that faking of added FX.

July 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM

• Hello Ed.

I have heard of lot’s of people seeing things above the boy’s head in various forums and even i see a weird shape but I think it is all just an optical illusion and our brains ‘filling in the gaps.’

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment.

Hi

July 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM

16. Pingback: Revisiting the “Ghost Boy” Photo from the Amityville Horror | Legend Trippers: Screaming is Believing

17. Pingback: Ghost Picture of the Day: The Amityville Ghost Boy | Ghosts and Ghouls

18. jkr

It’s a strange world. What is in front us we believe, and what’s not we don’t. Pretty simple when dealing with reality. However, even if the truth smacked us, some still don’t believe. We would literly need a ghost to jump out at us to validate their existance. But in reality, they are real. The world is in a slumber, and the media has put us in some sort of “spiritual stupor” to what is real. I’m not saying the photo is authentic. I’m a skeptic myself. But I will say that you cannot prove they don’t exist either. As bold as someone can say it’s not real, is as bold to say it is real. A non believer’s opinion is no more valid than a believer. In the end it’s a drawwhile the truth remains hidden, yet in front of us.

August 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM

19. Bob

It isn’t the young boy. It is the demonic toying with the living. Why would the Warrens risk their credibility by doctoring a photograph?

September 7, 2013 at 5:30 PM

• That all depends on what one thinks of The Warrens credibility in the first place for one, although I always love varying opinions to be shared.

That said,big question relating to The Warrens skills as an investigative entity is why they did not notice the figure in the first place in that photo after the initial investigation?

And who said the photo was “doctored”?

Thanks for reading and commenting! :-)

September 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM

20. Tye

I can see a pair of glasses on the person. I can see where the stem hinges to the frame on the left side in particular. Cool. I didn’t know that glasses could be ghosts too!

November 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM

• LOTS of people see the glasses as well as believing it is possible Paul Bartz has a pair of specs in his pocket.

Thanks for commenting!

November 22, 2013 at 9:29 PM

21. Kim

I can see a face above the boy at the top of the door

April 11, 2014 at 7:27 AM

• I can and have before myself, but in my opnion we are both just ‘matrixing.’

April 12, 2014 at 4:30 AM