Weird News, Ghosts and the Paranormal.

Ghostly Pics: Hampton Court Ghost

hampton court ghost front

This infamous ghost image took the internet by storm in 2003. It was originally published in the Chicago Sun-Times on December 21st of that year and was said to be a still of CCTV footage from the Hampton Court Palace, located on the Thames river in London, England.

Although the Hampton Court is ripe with tales of ghostly apparitions and strange occurrences, the picture of the robed figure was immediately a topic for debate for both believers and skeptics alike.

Was it an excellent ghost photograph or a clever hoax?

In the released footage, which is less then two minutes in length, shows what appears to be a figure in period dress, closing a set of fire doors that had burst open a moment before the figure glides up to the doorway to close them.

The figure was discovered on the recording by Hampton Palace security guards, who checked the footage after the doors had also been opened at about the same time the day before.

hampton court ghost 2 reaces door fake hoax photo

Security guard James Faukes told the BBC how unnerving the footage was at the time it was discovered:

“It was incredibly spooky because the face just didn’t look human,”

Faukes also went on to say that he did not think the footage was a hoax or prank:

“I thought someone was having a laugh but our costumed guides don’t own a costume like that. It is actually quite unnerving,”

Indeed, the images with the robed figure are  the kind of thing you would want to watch on a cold dark night near Halloween, but in reality the ghost may be more Human then initially thought.

Paranormal Eye Candy:

hampton court ghost gif video best photo pic pictures

The old saying goes that if it looks too good to be true it probably is, and this is especially true when it comes to things that have a paranormal or unexplainable background, like UFOs or ghosts.

The Hampton Court Ghost footage falls into this category for a few reasons, which I will list here. I cannot completely explain away the images, but I can make a solid argument that they could very well be a hoax or a case of mistaken identity:

hampton court ghost three closes other door photo hoax fake

• The ghost appears to have very tangible features. As the screen caps here illustrate, the ghost seems to have solid hands and fingers and is seen ‘gripping’ the door in a real manner.
  • White objects can also be seen in the captures below which would be in perfect position to be a pair of shoes. White trainers or gym shoes anyone?
  • The face does seem to be odd and creepy, but it looks more like the solid white that might come from wearing a white mask, such as a ghost or skeleton mask (In some circles the ghost has been known as Skeletor, due to his more then passing resemblance to the villain in the eighties children’s television show He-Man), not an apparition of the dead.
  • For a ghost, the spirit sure knows how to operate a modern fire door, closing one end first then shutting the other door in the proper manner. Not sure they had those in Henry the Eighths time.
  • The CCTV footage, although released in December was filmed in October. Although Halloween is not as big of a holiday in the UK as it is in the States, October surely would be the right time for anyone to attempt such a paranormal related prank.

hampton court ghosts shoes

At the end of the day, the Hampton Court ghost footage is one of those cases where we all know in out heart of hearts that it is probably a fake, but want to believe in it so badly as it is just too good of a ghost image.

Again, remember that old phrase form the beginning of this article?

The security guards quoted on the footage at the time seemed sure that it was not a hoax and stated that no members of palace staff wore that kind of period costumes, however if the footage is indeed a hoax or prank they are not about to inform Hampton Court Security are they?

The interior of the fire door opened in the video.

The interior of the fire door opened in the video.

Security also reported that the alarm went off at around the same time both the day before the footage was taken and the day after. On those dates, there was no robed figure or any other anomalies in the recorded material.

One guess is that the hoaxers wanted to give their story a little extra ‘oomph’ so thye made the ghost a daily thing for a couple days.

As for the Australian tourist who reported in a Hampton Court guestbook that she had seen a ghost in that area at the time the footage was recorded, it could have been set up by the hoaxers themselves again with the same purpose as the fire alarm, to give the story more credence or weight.

To be fair, Hampton Court also has a rich paranormal history and the Australian tourist’s ghost sighting was not the first at that location and most likely not the last either.

What do you guys think of this infamous paranormal footage? Hoax, prank or a ghost who loves to hear the fire alarms going off?

Advertisements

20 responses

1. Pingback: Update: Cloud Anomaly Explained | Ghost Theory | Illuminutti

2. Pingback: EPISODE 22 — Apparition In The Chapel | A View From Under The Prep-Room Table

3. Pingback: Charles Ayoub News Portal

4. The first question that comes to my mind is: Why? It would take a lot of energy to manifest physically and then fling those doors open. (At least I would assume so) and so, why would you waste it on something like that?

He didn’t go anywhere. He didn’t do anything. It didn’t seem to have any point to it.

As nice as that footage is, it’s just out of focus enough for me to say: Hoax. 🙂

May 28, 2014 at 4:58 PM

5. Agreed…this one is probably fake…I’d bet on it and I don’t gamble. 😉

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment.

May 28, 2014 at 5:50 PM

6. Way to clear to be real. The mask and the robe are a dead giveaway really – they look brand new. People with to much time on their hands – security was probably in on it!
    Great article
    Chris

June 22, 2014 at 1:33 PM

7. Dennis

I’m not saying its real, but the only reason I doubt it is because I doubt the supernatural by default. But some of the “proof” its a hoax is pretty silly, as if people know a concrete set of rules about ghosts and how they are supposed to behave and look and interact with the world.

Also, if it were a hoax, why would the pranksters risk getting caught by pulling the fire alarm twice before?

The thing is, despite what the article says about what we “want to believe”, I suspect the opposite: they want to believe the footage is false, but in their heart suspects its real.

August 8, 2014 at 6:13 PM

• No, I really do ‘want to believe’ in any paranormal pics or video I have seen.

This one just looks too good to be true.

As for the fire alarm, it may or may not have been the person that pulled this prank that did that, just my own theory that perhaps it was done at about the same time as the sighting and the other false alarm to to give the story more credence or weight.

Your right of course that there is no concrete evidence of ghosts or rules that they must follow but also the fake we can sniff out bring us closer to possibly establishing those rules, or at least a rational frame of mind.

And in my heart I do believe in ghosts and the like, but sadly this footage is too perfect in my onion to be real, which is a shame.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment! 🙂

September 28, 2014 at 3:40 PM

8. Jennifer

If you would like to share your paranormal or unexplained stories, please join our group on facebook 🙂 https://www.facebook.com/groups/spiritstheunexplainedandparanormalforum/

September 15, 2014 at 11:10 AM

• Jennifer:

Thanks for the comment and the group link, I will leave it up can you please return the favor by sharing the NFSW.com’s homepage in your FB group? 🙂

October 30, 2014 at 1:05 AM

9. Pingback: Paranormal and the Unexplained | Author Travis Simmons

10. Nic

Looks real to me. I lived in a very old house for a year and on one occasion someone came in the house and went upstairs. I heard them open the back door walk across the sitting room and go upstairs. I was in the next room on the phone with the door open and assumed it was the person I shared the house with. They passed by the door wearing a black coat and went upstairs. They weren’t hollow or translucent but as real and as solid as I was. I got off the phone and and went upstairs to speak to my friend but there was absolutely no one there and the back door was shut. The moment I saw this it reminded me very strongly of what I saw all those years ago so I think it’s real. If fake it it is odd that no one has come forward to admit they did it after all this time

September 28, 2014 at 2:18 PM

• I do not think it is odd at all as it was probably done on a whim and if they are any part of the staff there it could get them into trouble with the job f they are still employed there or be a mark on their CV or resume for future work possibly.

I love your story by the way, get back in touch if you ever want to go into more detail and possibly publish it here at NFSW.com.

Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment. 🙂

September 28, 2014 at 3:43 PM

11. Tom Measor

The problem is that there are that many fake video’s and photo of ghosts now, that if a real one was published, no one would believe it. Shame really, as a lot of people spend their time trying to prove the paranormal and it’s just a waste of time. I’ve seen a full bodied apparition, so i don’t need to prove anything to anyone but myself.

March 21, 2015 at 10:16 AM

12. debra

Fake why didn’t the so called ghost fade through the door? Why open it then change its mine and go back end?. Not to mention it was holding the bar door ghost don’t do that.

March 23, 2015 at 10:07 AM

• Exactly. The ‘ghost’ is much too solid to be the real deal sadly.

Thanks for commenting!

April 1, 2015 at 3:23 AM

13. Pingback: By the Pricking of My Thumbs: The Legitimate Study Of The Medieval Paranormal | The Æthelmearc Gazette

14. Matt

Yes, the door handling activity is all too human. And full apparitions usually do not have a mask-like face. Nor can I imagine them fully materialising for one piece of minor poltergeist activity. Good video though!

November 3, 2016 at 8:53 PM

• I agree it is one creepy and impressive footage…but proof of the afterlife?

I would not say that.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment Matt! 🙂

November 3, 2016 at 8:55 PM

15. Matt

Yes, the door handling activity is all too human. And real apparitions usually do not have a mask-like face. Nor can I imagine them fully materialising for one piece of minor poltergeist activity. Good video though!

November 3, 2016 at 8:55 PM